Table of Contents
Let’s face it, we have all at some point been left furious bird poop stains and etchings ruining the visual appearance of our car. Not only does it destory the look and appearance of your car, it’s also extremely harmful and can end up warranting an extremely expensive repair bill if not treated correctly. In this article, we will explain exactly why bird poop stains are so difficult to remove, why they are so harmful to your paintwork and how to safely remove them.
Why is Bird Poop Harmful To Car Paintwork?
Bird droppings can be harmful to car paintwork for several reasons:
- Acidic Nature: Bird droppings are acidic, primarily due to the uric acid content. When these droppings come into contact with your car’s paint, they can start to chemically react with the paint’s clear coat and pigments. This reaction can lead to paint damage over time.
- Staining: Bird droppings can leave unsightly stains on your car’s paint. These stains are not only unpleasant to look at, but they can be challenging to remove, especially if the droppings are left on the paint for an extended period.
- Erosion: The acidic nature of bird droppings can gradually erode the protective clear coat on your car’s paint. Clear coat serves as a barrier between the environment and the actual paint, and when it’s compromised, the underlying paint can become exposed to further damage.
- Heat Amplification: When bird droppings are left on a car’s surface, they can magnify the effects of the sun’s heat. This combination of heat and the acidic properties of the droppings can accelerate the paint’s deterioration.
- Paint Discoloration: Prolonged exposure to bird droppings can lead to paint discoloration. This can make the affected area of your car’s paint look different from the surrounding surface, which can be difficult to repair without repainting the affected area.
How Should Bird Poop Be Removed From Car Paintwork?
1. Quick Action is Key: Bird droppings are most damaging when left on the paint for an extended period. The longer they remain, the more likely they are to cause damage. It’s important to clean bird droppings off your car as soon as you notice them.
2. Proper Cleaning Technique: When cleaning bird droppings from your car’s paint, use a microfiber cloth, sponge, or a mitt designed for car washing. Avoid abrasive materials that can scratch the paint. Moisten the area first with water to help soften the droppings before gently wiping them away. Use a car-specific soap to clean the affected area.
3. Rinse Thoroughly: After cleaning, rinse the area thoroughly to ensure all residue, soap, and droppings are removed. Leaving soap residue on the paint can also cause damage over time.
4. Wax and Sealants: Applying a good-quality car wax or paint sealant can provide a protective layer on your car’s paint. This protective layer makes it more difficult for bird droppings to adhere to the surface and cause damage. Regularly waxing your car can also help maintain the paint’s shine and finish.
5. Parking Strategies: If possible, park your car in a garage or under a covered area to protect it from bird droppings, as well as other environmental elements like UV rays, tree sap, and debris.
6. Bird Deterrents: There are products available that can deter birds from landing on your car, such as bird spikes or repellent gels. These can be applied to areas where birds frequently perch.
7. Regular Maintenance: Keeping your car clean and well-maintained can also help protect the paint. Regular washing and maintenance routines will help you spot and address bird droppings and other potential sources of damage before they become serious issues.
8. Professional Detailing: Periodic professional detailing can help keep your car’s paint in excellent condition. Detailers have the expertise and tools to remove contaminants and restore the paint’s shine.
In summary, bird droppings can harm car paintwork due to their acidic nature, which can cause staining, erosion, and discoloration. Quick and gentle cleaning, along with preventative measures like using wax and sealants, proper parking, and bird deterrents, can help protect your car’s paint from these types of damage. Regular maintenance and attention to your car’s exterior can go a long way in preserving its appearance and value.
Our Suggested Products
We think the following products provide excellent performance and great value for money when removing bird poop and also protecting against bird poop in the future
Autoglym Bird Dropping Wipes
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Poorboys Nattys Paste Wax
In summary, bird poop stains and etchings may appear to be relatively harmless but in actual fact, can cause a lot of damage to your car paintwork and may result in an expensive repair bill. It’s imperative to react quickly to bird poop stains appearing on your paintwork and also to use the correct products to enable the safe removal of the stains and etchings. The products linked above will provide an excellent way of removing bird poop and protecting your paintwork from future instances.